Saturday, January 24, 2009

Christmas Prep

Yeah, we're still here. We were in California for three weeks over the holidays (more on that to come) and then had to come back to real life after a long vacation. Ugh, so much to do. Anyhoo, here are a few pics from the end of 2008.

Making gingerbread houses (yes, from scratch, thank you) and decorating them is one of my favorite holiday traditions. Ella really loved it this year.

I'm not one to post pictures of everything I bake, but I was extra-special proud of this one. It is a Buche de Noel, or yule log, a French holiday dessert. Look at the meringue mushrooms! I had a really fun time with it. I told my mom what I was making and she reminded me that when I was taking French in middle school, I entered a Buche de Noel contest and ended up being the only entry. I suppose I won by default, but I was never acknowledged as the winner. What gives?

Speaking of winners, check out this hat! It was the height of fashion this season among the 0-6 month set.

Ella danced her little heart out at her winter recital, despite having to wear borrowed shoes. That's right, Mom remembered crayons and coloring books to calm the natives backstage, but forgot the tap shoes. Luckily there were about 1000 other little girls there, many of them with tap shoes, and one very kind mother agreed to let us borrow her daughter's shoes. Whew.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Christie said...

I love how not no two girls in that dance picture are doing the exact same thing at that moment! My little sisters did dance and that brings back a lot of memories!

Naomi said...

Natalie has beautiful eyelashes! Love the pictures of you guys. The girls are adorable. I want to know from Ella--what's better? a California beach or a Texas beach? I think I already know the answer. If she ever needs more American Girl things, there is a store in Dallas....