Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Bryce Canyon II: Attack of the Navajo Loop

We stood at the top of the Navajo Loop trail head, gazing down into the canyon and watching the little ant-people hike around down there, and Ella said, "I want to go down there!" So we headed down the trail, and when I say "down", I mean STRAIGHT down. I was carrying Natalie in the Moby wrap and couldn't see my feet, which gave an added element of adventure to the hike. The loop trail is only 1.5 miles long, but half of that is straight down and the rest is straight up. Ella was tripping along the first few switchbacks, noticing chipmunks and interesting rocks, shouting, "This is FUN!" while the people we passed on their way up looked half dead and severely lacking in crucial bodily fluids.

The view down into "Wall Street".

Little Ella in front of a big chasm.

Natalie fell asleep while we were at the bottom and I carried her 20+ pounds of dead weight all the way to the top. About half way up Greg said, "If she wakes up, I'll take her." I responded, "No way! Do you think I want to tell people I carried her MOST of the way?" I wanted the full bragging rights.

And although I did seriously consider throwing up at one point on the hike out of the canyon (We were over 8,000 feet above sea level, for Pete's sake. San Antonio is, like, 12 feet above sea level.) we made it! Don't I look triumphant? And, yes, dangerously low on fluids.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

AlexFam said...

You are a trooper! There really should be merit badges for moms. You would earn the badge for packing your baby through Bryce Canyon in a Moby...that's awesome!